On Friday, at around 3pm Sydney time, my ISP ( supernerd.com.au ) went down, and stayed down until monday (3 days later).
I was quite seriously astounded that an ISP can go down for 3 days! I rang their emergency help line, and they said that they were under new management and that due to holidays, they were not taking any new business till 10 feb (that’s 1 week later than the day I rang). They said they would answer emergencies for people who left a message. I left a message…. and then an other one 12 hours later, then an other 24 hours later etc.
They never rang me back. On monday, I spent 2 hours trying to call their offices. When I eventually got through, the person asked “how can I help you?” … to which I answered “I just wanted to know the status of your service” … to which he answered something about being down a bit on friday. At this point I got a little irritated and expressed aghast … he said I’ll put you through to technical support. And then he either hung up, or made a mistake trying to put me through.
I gave up. The internet was connected again, but the server was not up. They had changed my (contractually static) IP. I have now re-routed all my domains to the new IP…. and I can only pray that the IP wont change. I did a search on whirlpool and found out that some people had found out that supernerd was changeing their backbone connection.
My recomendation: stay away from supernerd! … why? because:
- Their service went down for 3 days which is totally unacceptable (3 hours is unacceptible)
- They gave no warning. They changed their backbone connection, and did not give any warning that the service might be interrupted.
- They dont return calls. I must have left around 6 messages on different numbers, and I still have not had any returned calls.
- It took 2 hours to get through to their support people on the phone… who then hung up on me! (maybe it was a mistake, but you dont make these kinds of mistakes in these situations)
- They changed the static IP allocated to me… and did not tell me.
- They have some kind of message on their after-hours phone number about people being away on holidays. This inspires complete lack of confidence!