In the previous post, Crispin14 suggests that I ask “If Ambisonia succeeds, who, in addition to the members and consumers of the music, will benefit“… in order to identify other players who could be part of ambisonia, and hence perhaps start to form a solid mission statement.
First I’d like to define who the people are who I would like to benefit:
- The recording contributors. Those who upload content to the site.
- The open-source software creators. Those who write the code that I use to convert and process ambisonic files… and the ambisonic players the consumers use.
- The experts.The members of the community who share their years of collected knowledge to support the endeavour to get ambisonics out.
- The consumers who drive the interest in ambisonia.
Others who will benefit if ambisonia.com is successful are:
- Consumer Hardware manufacturers
- Home theatre amplifier/speaker manufacturers
- Multi-channel sound card manufacturers
- Software manufacturers
- Manufacturers of commercial grade authorware. (VST plugins, DAWS etc.),
- Audio file conversion software. (Converting from ambisonics to 5.1),
- HD-DVD, blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A authoring software (burning ambisonics to consumer formats)
- Surround microphone manufacturers. Soundfield and Coresound will benefit from the increased interest in surround sound.
- Generic microphone manufacturers. Standard microphones used in ‘Native B format’ recording setups. That’s typically… AKG’s Blue Line, Sennheiser MKH, the Schoeps range, and Neumann’s modular ranges
- Producers of multi-channel recording hardware. Such as the Edirol R4 and the Sound Devices 744T.
- Dolby. Because ambisonia will raise excitement and awareness of surround sound. (Dolby must be in talks with home theatre hardware manufacturers
since the more home theatres there are out there, the more there is a demand for Dolby Digital surround sound content)
- DTS, Inc. For the same reasons as Dolby. Except that Ambisonia is actually distributing content (or will soon) in DTS format, hence increasing the awareness of DTS and its surround sound formats.
- Sound effects houses. Ambisonia can be used as a source of surround sound effects.
- Home Theatre Services companies. People who help customers properly set up their surround sound system.