I have found it very difficult to prioritise the tasks on Ambisonia. Theoretically it is simple. Make a list, order the list from most important to least important. And I do that. But the interesting thing is that 1 week later, a new piece of information comes into the fold that dramatically changes the priorities (like the streaming AAC tests).
But I _have_ noticed that when I leave something long enough, there’s some kind of natural breakdown of priorities, and I reach a point where I say to myself, “this is rediculous, I really need to just do xxxx before anything else”.
Today, and for about 2 weeks now, that xxxx is clean up the HTML design of the site. (directly after that, is the mini uploader to make it easy to upload).
“but why?” … you might ask. The site looks fine as it is, get on with the business model, or marketing etc. Why waste more time re-doing the HTML design of the site?
There are some very good reasons.
- The way the site is implemented is currently very messy,
- As the site advances, there will constantly be some adding and removing of HTML bits on the webpages. For example, right now I have to:
- remove the binaural and stereo download icons (which I have avoided because doing this will break the layout of the page (because of poorly designed HTML))
- design in AAC streaming,
- change frontpage design (marketing message etc.)
- make space for selling DVD-A’s
- make space for selling other stuff (like potentially amps/speakers etc.).
- make space for selling payed downloads (long term)
- Introduce a file structure that allows caching pages for super-fast rendering for when the site becomes more popular.
To make the site easily re-designable, flexible for adding and removing HTML components etc. I need to do quite a bit of work. But this work only needs to be done once. Once I have setup a good HTML design and development environement and process, then this will facilitate ongoing evolution. This is very important.
A site’s design (layout, message, information priority) is never finished. And it has to be seen to be moving to communicate the message that the site is *active*.
Ok, on with it.